Latin Ground Beef & Quinoa Stew
With Potatoes, Corn, Coriander, & Spicy Jalapeno
"My face looks like a wedding cake left out in the rain."
W.H. Auden
That about sums up how I felt yesterday. I didn't sleep particularly well, - cats in heat are a nightmare - I had physio that morning that left me feeling achey and sore, and my walk in the rain left Bella muddy as a hippo and me with black make up leaking from my eyes. It is days like that which make me happy for my fireplace, and also leave me incredulous at the shift in local weather.

On an unrelated, but actually-sort-of-related note - does anybody else remember house hippos?
Aches, pains, and filth aside, I actually adore the rain. Okay, I hate getting wet and being cold, even more so, but isn't that why they invented MEC raincoats and infinity scarves? Rain is truly the only weather I can accommodate long term. I am, after all, a creature of habit and a lover of the temperate. It is never too hot when it rains, and the air is always crisp and refreshing. Believe it or not, it makes me long for the North Shore mountains, which have always been my favourite in the rain. The trails are less crowded, the canopy of trees blocks most of the water, and the forest glows a vibrant green. I wish I were in more of a state to go for a hike.

Or good old fashioned dance in the street
Apart from making me wax nostalgic for the Baden Powell - or bizarre 1950's musicals - rain also makes me crave comfort food. I've been on a bit of a soup binge lately - as B was kind enough to point out - but they have been mostly fresh, pureed, summer soups. Yesterday, I wanted something hearty.

I went back and forth for a while before I began, between using ground beef or steak for this recipe. Steak would have given it a more home-made, traditional 'stew' feel, but I ultimately went for ground meat. The meat may say 'hamburger soup', but the quinoa and thick chunks of potato could not be more stewie.
If you need to stretch the recipe a bit, this stew is great on a bed of hot white rice. We had ours last night with homemade sweet potato rolls, but it's hearty enough that you don't even need that. Top with fresh cilantro if you desire, and fresh topped green onions.
Olive oil
1 lb lean ground beef
1 large onion, minced
6 cloves garlic, minced
6 large mushrooms, chopped
1 cup butternut squash, cubed
1 cup potatoes, cubed
2 carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 jalapeño peppers, chopped
1/2 cup raw quinoa
1 can corn niblets, drained
1.5 cartons low-sodium beef stock
1 cup low-sodium V8 juice
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tbs paprika
1 tbs mexican chili powder
1 tbs mexican oregano
1 tbs garlic powder
Fresh cilantro
Fresh green onions, chopped
In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium flame. Add onions, garlic, jalapeños, celery, and mushrooms. Sauté for about two or three minutes, or until slightly aromatic. Add the ground beef and break apart with a wooden spoon.
Add all the spices, mix well, and turn heat up to medium-high. Cook the beef and vegetables until the meat is done - about 10-12 minutes or so.
Add the potatoes, squash, carrots, corn, raw quinoa, V8 juice, and beef stock. Bring to a boil over HIGH heat, stirring frequently.
Once veggies are tender and quinoa is cooked, add the fresh cilantro - ripped into chunks - and allow to simmer over low heat for another four or five minutes. Remove from heat and serve.
Top with minced green onions and fresh cilantro, or even grated cheddar cheese if you wish. Great for lunch the next day, and even keeps well in the freezer!

Yes, like that.
You will need...
Olive oil
1 lb lean ground beef
1 large onion, minced
6 cloves garlic, minced
6 large mushrooms, chopped
1 cup butternut squash, cubed
1 cup potatoes, cubed
2 carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 jalapeño peppers, chopped
1/2 cup raw quinoa
1 can corn niblets, drained
1.5 cartons low-sodium beef stock
1 cup low-sodium V8 juice
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tbs paprika
1 tbs mexican chili powder
1 tbs mexican oregano
1 tbs garlic powder
Fresh cilantro
Fresh green onions, chopped
In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium flame. Add onions, garlic, jalapeños, celery, and mushrooms. Sauté for about two or three minutes, or until slightly aromatic. Add the ground beef and break apart with a wooden spoon.
Add all the spices, mix well, and turn heat up to medium-high. Cook the beef and vegetables until the meat is done - about 10-12 minutes or so.
Add the potatoes, squash, carrots, corn, raw quinoa, V8 juice, and beef stock. Bring to a boil over HIGH heat, stirring frequently.
Once veggies are tender and quinoa is cooked, add the fresh cilantro - ripped into chunks - and allow to simmer over low heat for another four or five minutes. Remove from heat and serve.
Top with minced green onions and fresh cilantro, or even grated cheddar cheese if you wish. Great for lunch the next day, and even keeps well in the freezer!



0 comments:
Post a Comment