Dijon Brussels Sprout Salad with Bacon & Avocado
Topped with Toasted Pumpkin Seeds and Cracked Black Pepper
"Informed decision-making comes from a long tradition of guessing and then blaming others for inadequate results."
Scott Adams
Ah, brussels sprouts; Quite possibly the most hated vegetable since the cultivation of broccoli. I was never a huge fan to be honest, although for some inexplicable reason every Christmas and Thanksgiving I would have at least one small spoonful - my mom and uncle always loved them - as if the meal wouldn't be complete without one of the bitter little buds. For years I didn't enjoy them, found them rather unpalatable and unpleasant, but still I spooned. Until one day, I'm not really sure when or where it was, I decided that they weren't really so bad.
Ironically these are B's favourite vegetable. Lucky for him they've grown on me over the years, and now I like them steamed with butter or fried with a bit of garlic or bacon. They're pretty good warm, no doubt, but did you know you could also eat them raw?
Part of the Gammifera family, they are technically a type of cabbage and make for wonderful salad bases. True, it is tedious to sit there peeling them one by one, but if you get a team going or can simply plop a bowl down on the coffee table while your favourite show is on, it can go by pretty fast. I don't make this salad often, but when I do it's always worth it. Especially when I have B peel them for me - like I did this time.
You will need...
1 tsp lemon zest
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
3 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 pound brussels sprouts, trimmed, leaves separated
2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
2 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
1 avocado, sliced
Firstly, peel the brussels sprouts by slicing off the hard stem and pulling off the leaves, one by one, into a large bowl. The larger the sprout, the easier this will be .
Next, whisk the lemon zest, juice, dijon mustard, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Slowly add the olive oil, whisking constantly until it is a dressing-like consistency. The oil should not be separating from the dijon.
Add the crumbled bacon, pumpkin seeds, sliced avocado, and dressing to the large bowl of sprout leaves. Toss well. Top with dried cranberries if you desire and serve cold.
TIP: If pumpkin seeds aren't your thing, try pine nuts, walnuts, pecans, or almonds. Anything crunchy will do. Another great idea might be parmesan petals or grated asiago cheese.




0 comments:
Post a Comment