Roasted Tomato & Coconut Bisque

, by Unknown


A Thick Blend of Roasted Yellow Tomatoes, Fresh Coconut Milk, & Lemongrass


“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”
Robert A. Heinlein

Well, it's happened. My cat has gone insane. 

As I write this, she is prowling the hall emitting a ghastly yowl, almost akin to a baying beagle. If the beagle had a bubble in its throat, that is. She is rubbing against the furniture and munching on the stems of the daisies that occupy the blue vase on my coffee table - staring cheekily at me through the leaves as she does. She has now proceeded to climb across the keyboard of my laptop, dragging her back feet and staring imploringly at me. 

Is she hungry? No. Is she hyper, all ready to play? No. Does she want outside? Yes. But alas, she must remain trapped in the infernal prison that is my apartment. Why? She is in heat
. 

Well, I think so. That or is she is just officially off her rocker. Which I won't completely rule out, to be quite frank. She is an odd little creature at the best of times, but today is she almost intolerable. She will not be quiet, and no matter which room I exile her to, I always return to find her six feet off the ground clinging to the microsuede curtains, or knocking over priceless ceramic souvenirs from my travels. I never thought I'd see the day that Bella - my energetic lab/terrier -  was the calm, mature lady of the house. Oh dear. 

She is about the right age to be in heat, I suppose, but I had hoped to get her spayed before it happened. If it hadn't been for the accident this would not have been a problem. Unfortunately, it has been three months since I've worked and employment insurance doesn't pay as well as I'd hoped. As a result, trips to the vet have been dropped down the list of household priorities - somewhere below 'food' and 'rent'. Y'know, stuff like that. 

It's my own fault I suppose, and I guess we'll just have to wait this one out and get her 'fixed' as soon as she's back to normal. Well, as normal as the little monster ever is. It's all relative, after all. 

Feline related rantings aside, here is the recipe for my latest favourite; Tomato and Coconut Bisque. I made it the other day for B, my best friend, and I to have with our unbelievable Morning Star Farms black bean burgers. It was a lovely accompaniment, and a cinch to prepare. My friend watched me every step of the way, and it was barely a distraction from our movie and conversation. Even if you think you don't like tomato soup - as my friend attested when I told her what I was making - try this and think again. It's not your average Campbell's from-a-can, ketchup-like concentrate. Thank god. 



You will need.... 

1 sweet onion, chopped
1 bulb garlic, peeled and separated
4 roma tomatoes, chopped
6 yellow tomatoes, chopped
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
1 can coconut milk
1 tbs lemongrass paste
Salt & Pepper
Olive Oil



Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, toss the onions, garlic, and tomatoes in about 1/4 cup olive oil. 

Spread the vegetables across a non-stick baking sheet and pour the remaining oil over top. Lay the thyme, whole, across the top of the mixture. Top with fresh cracked sea salt and pepper. 

Allow to roast for about 60-75 minutes, stirring every half hour. Cooking times will vary, so be sure to keep an eye on them and mind the tomatoes do not begin to burn. 

Once removed from oven, allow the tray to cool for at least ten minutes. Discard the thyme.

Transfer the contents of the pan - including all juices and oil - into a blender. Add the broth and pulse until the soup is smooth and consistent. 

Pour the contents of the blender into a soup pot. Heat over low-medium temperature, stirring often. Add the coconut milk and lemongrass and stir well to combine. 

Serve hot and top with greek yogurt and fresh basil. Yum.


Sorry, kids. None for you.




3 comments:

Unknown said...

This sounds amaaaazing!!! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Its dangerously good. I have a thing for coconut though, so maybe I'm biased.
I plan to make it again for Lyndsay on Thursday.

I am so excited for our soup day tomorrow! Your blog is so amazing, you give us all wonderful ideas for our dinners/lunches.. It actually is convincing me to go to the store right now and get all the ingredients for a soup. (It's not even eight thirty a.m. yet and that's saying something!) I have to say you really outdid me Al, great job!! :)

Share This