Turkey & Plum Tomato Cacciatore

, by Unknown


With Cremini Button Mushrooms & Fresh Herbs


"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school."

Albert Einstein

I have long thought there is something odd about the educational system in our society. By modern standards, I am pretty darn uneducated. I am a high school graduate, but I didn't exactly walk out those doors an honour student. I also have yet to get my butt back to college. However, I feel like this is very misleading. Back when I was hunting for a job a few years back, I was angered by the fact that on paper I look like I have no relevant training or experience, and don't know a whole lot about anything. While I think this is true to some extent - I am not saying I am 'knowledgeable' about everything - but it really is not the whole picture. Many countries in the world allow you to challenge exams in universities, or even qualifying exams such as the bar, without actually attending any classes. If you have the knowledge and the know-how, who cares if you did homework, right? In Canada, this be not so. 

I've been told that my research and self-education is a waste of time. What is the point, some ask, if I don't have a piece of paper to show for it afterwards? Well that always blows my mind. What is the point, I think, of a piece of paper without a head full of knowledge to show for it? Lots of people take degree programs and jump through the hoops without absorbing anything of real value. Is that really what we want to value as a society? It just seems silly. 

Anyway, piece of paper or not I plan to continue learning about as much of everything as I possibly can. And it's not like I don't have help - for my birthday last week my sister got me an awesome new book which I cannot wait to read. I think I will start it tonight:


The Universe Within: From Quantum to Cosmos

Quantum mechanics is one of my favourite subjects - a 'hobby', if you will.  To me, it's like the scientific equivalent of philosophy. It just sort of... puts me in my place. Puts everything in perspective. Reminds me how insignificant everything is. I think that's something missing in our society - our social-networking driven, fast-paced, extrovert-oriented world that teaches us that any mundane thought that pops into our heads is worth a 'tweet' or a 'status', and that we are defined by the jobs that we have, the money that we make, or how many 'friends' we can accumulate online. I feel sometimes like it is time for us re-evaluate what is really important and worth admiring. But, that is a subject for another day. 

In short - I do not feel that people should be made to feel inferior for lack of a formal education. When we put our focus on pieces of paper that define our worth in the workplace, we are taking away incentive for young people to go out there and travel and learn and discover. More people should be getting an education for the sake of expanding their minds - not their earning potential. 

Okay, I'm done. I swear. Now on to the food. 

I use egg noodles as my sort of go-to lazy weeknight dinner staple. They don't need to be boiled before being added to the sauce - although they can be - so that cuts down on some dishes right there. This meal took less than forty minutes to prepare and was quite tasty, if I do say so myself. Pair it with some GB (garlic bread) and a salad and you've got a pretty decent one-pot meal. 


These ones. Super awesome and easy. 

I hope you enjoy. 


You will need...

1 package lean ground turkey
2 tbs olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 bag extra broad egg noodles
1/2 jar tomato sauce of your choice (I used PC Red Pepper)
1 large can diced plum tomatoes, reduced sodium
1/2 cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes
1 tsp salt or garlic scape salt (if you have it, see below!)
1 tsp red chili flakes
2 cups cremini button mushrooms or similar, chopped
1 cup chicken, vegetable, or beef stock
1/4 cup white or red wine (I used pinot grigio)
2 tbs parmesan cheese
1 tbs dried italian seasoning
Lots of fresh herbs - basil, oregano, thyme, whatever you have handy


This stuff. My mom picked me up some from the interior this summer. It is SO good. And garlicky. Which = good.

In a large skillet - or pot, or frying pan, your choice - heat the olive oil over medium -high heat. Add the onions, garlic, mushrooms, and turkey. Break the turkey apart with a spoon and stir well. 


When turkey is almost cooked - probably about ten minutes - add the cherry tomatoes, italian seasoning, parmesan cheese, wine, scape salt and chili flakes. Stir well and allow to cook for another five or so minutes. 


Ah! Steam!

Turn heat down to medium. Add remaining ingredients and stir until egg noodles are fully coated. Cover with a tight fitting lid and allow to cook, stirring with a wooden spoon every few minutes to prevent the pasta sticking to the pan. You may need to add a bit of water if the pasta looks too dry. 


When noodles are tender, remove from stove and serve hot. Top with fresh herbs and grated parmesan cheese. 



Enjoy with a glass of white or red wine, or maybe even sangria. Hmm... wish I'd thought of that last night!






0 comments:

Share This