Southern Style Panko Chicken
Baked Chicken Breast Battered in Panko, Parmesan, & Herbs
"Statistics show that of the those who contract the habit of eating, very few survive."
George Bernard Shaw
Oh dear, I think I've already contracted it.
Eating is my hobby. I like to think that cooking is my hobby, and that eating is merely 'cleaning up' afterwards. I'd also like to get all philosophical on the subject and share with you my musings on the culinary arts. I'm afraid, however, that the matter is doomed to demit to the chicken and the egg debate, which will just wind up making me hungry. I guess maybe that answers my question right there.
Growing up, every year on my birthday I got to pick what I wanted for dinner. This was usually separate from my party held for school chums, and was rather a small family affair. When I had friends over I would always pick pizza, because I knew that was other kids wanted. I would even agree to order cheese, or pepperoni when my favourite was always veggie or Mediterranean. One of the few times in my life I actually allowed other people's opinions to dictate my actions. On my family dinner night, however, I was free and unafraid to order exactly what I wanted. It was always, without fail, KFC.
I know, sort of gross, but I was infatuated with the stuff. I had fantasies that when I grew up I would eat it for dinner every single day. Well here I am, closing in on twenty-three, and I don't remember the last time I purchased a big ol' bucket of Kentucky fried goodness. In an attempt to make the heavenly delicacy a bit more health and waistline conscious, I created this chicken last night. I served it with mashed potatoes, lemon butter green beans with toasted pine nuts, and glazed carrots. It was to die for.
For a little taste of the south - with a little italian and japanese flair - try this chicken recipe for yourself. You won't be disappointed!
You will need...
4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
2 cups panko breadcrumbs
1 tbs dried italian blend herbs
1/4 cup grated or ground parmesan cheese
1 tbs Johnny's Garlic Caesar Seasoning
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 heaping tbs mayonnaise
Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a non-stick cooking sheet with olive oil. Set aside.
In a large, shallow dish, combine panko, herbs, parmesan, garlic seasoning, paprika, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
In a smaller bowl, toss chicken breasts in the mayonnaise, rubbing it all over to coat with your hands.
NOTE: I used mayonnaise for the first time in this recipe. It turned out very, very well. I usually don't care for mayo, however, so I understand if some are averse to it. In that case, use raw egg instead.
Dip the chicken breasts - one by one - into the batter and turn until well coated. Lay on the baking sheet. Continue with the rest of the chicken.
Drizzle the chicken breasts with olive oil and place in oven. Bake for about 30 minutes. Flip chicken over, then bake for another 10, or until chicken is golden brown and cooked all the way through.
Check back soon for my recipe for lemon butter green beans, and glazed carrots.
You will need...
4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
2 cups panko breadcrumbs
1 tbs dried italian blend herbs
1/4 cup grated or ground parmesan cheese
1 tbs Johnny's Garlic Caesar Seasoning
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 heaping tbs mayonnaise
Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a non-stick cooking sheet with olive oil. Set aside.
In a large, shallow dish, combine panko, herbs, parmesan, garlic seasoning, paprika, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
In a smaller bowl, toss chicken breasts in the mayonnaise, rubbing it all over to coat with your hands.
NOTE: I used mayonnaise for the first time in this recipe. It turned out very, very well. I usually don't care for mayo, however, so I understand if some are averse to it. In that case, use raw egg instead.
Dip the chicken breasts - one by one - into the batter and turn until well coated. Lay on the baking sheet. Continue with the rest of the chicken.
Drizzle the chicken breasts with olive oil and place in oven. Bake for about 30 minutes. Flip chicken over, then bake for another 10, or until chicken is golden brown and cooked all the way through.
Check back soon for my recipe for lemon butter green beans, and glazed carrots.



0 comments:
Post a Comment