Sweet Chili Chicken Skewers

, by Unknown


With Soy, Sesame, Ginger & Grilled Veggies


"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language."
Henry James


Summer has a very distinctive smell. Do you know what I'm talking about? It's a mixture of something floral, fresh grass, concrete, and the unmistakable odor of heat. The smell of the sun on the sidewalk riding on the breeze. I can't really describe it any better than that, but it is the enticing smell that once wafted through the dusty hallways of elementary and high school - the teasing gust of air through the classroom window that wiped away any trace of concern for whatever was being written on the board. It is one of the most distracting scents on earth. Even now, years after graduation, when I first catch a whiff in May or June, it still tempts me as strongly with the promise of summer as it did all through childhood and adolescence. I guess it's something that never goes away. 

If I had to name a second or third smell that reminded me so strongly of summer as a child, it would have to be BBQ chicken skewers. Growing up, they were always my favourite at get-togethers. Much more so than hot dogs or burgers. I loved chicken. This particular recipe is a bit spicier than I would have eaten it way back then, but the basic salty-sweet flavour is still the same. The marinade for it is a simple one, but is one of my favourites to this day. Omit the Sriacha if you're not a fan of the heat. 




You will need....

2 tbs garlic, minced
2 tbs ginger, grated
2 tbs sesame seeds, toasted
4 tbs sweet chili sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tbs lemon juice
1 tbs Sriacha - optional

Chicken breasts or thighs
Wooden chicken skewers
Assorted veggies - zucchini, squash, bell peppers, mushrooms, onions, cherry tomatoes, etc.


Soak wooden skewers for at least 15-20 minutes in the sink, or in a bowl. 

Whisk marinade ingredients together in a large, shallow dish. 

Cut chicken breasts or thighs into strips and add to marinade. Toss until well coated. 

Allow to marinate overnight, or for at least one hour. 

Slide pieces of chicken onto skewers, alternating between meat and veggie until skewer is full. Continue until all the ingredients are used up. 

Lay the skewers on a plate and sprinkle with extra sesame seeds. 

Grill on the BBQ until chicken is cooked and veggies are slightly charred, and softened. Enjoy hot or cold by themselves, or with asian-inspired rice salad. 




Marinade



0 comments:

Share This