Rustic Mushroom & Carrot Soup

, by Unknown


With Fresh Cream, Chives & Asiago


"I live in that solitude which is painful in youth, but delicious in the years of maturity."
Albert Einstein


I spend a lot of time alone these days <insert obvious joke here>. I've never minded it, and I guess I still don't. Sometimes it can be a bit much, like when I start having meaningful discussions with the animals. When Bella finally leaves to crawl under the bed, I know its gone too far. 



But, for the most part, it is quite rewarding. Not that I don't enjoy spending time with my friends and family, but only in solitude can you sometimes be completely yourself. Don't want to get dressed? Don't! Feel like watching some bad TV you would never admit to liking? Go for it! With nobody to judge or unconsciously influence your actions, the world is your oyster. As an added bonus, creativity tends to blossom in bouts of solitude. 

Today was one of those days I felt content to stay home alone. I decided to treat myself to a homemade soup for lunch - an old favourite - to use up a bag of mushrooms I had, and just because I rarely make a nice meal  just for myself. It was delicious and decadent, and just an all around pleasure. 

So serve this recipe for you friends and family, or just as a rich lunch at home for yourself. Pair with crusty, buttered bread or crackers. Enjoy.


You will need....

2 tbs butter or olive oil
1 tbs garlic, minced
2 cups mushrooms, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups beef stock
1 medium white potato, chopped
1 sprig rosemary, whole
1 sprig thyme, whole
1 bay leaf
2 tbs asiago, grated
1/2 cup cream or milk
Chives, for topping


In a medium pot, saute the mushrooms, onions, and garlic in melted butter over medium heat. Cook for about ten minutes, or until onions start to soften. 

Add the carrots, potatoes, rosemary, thyme, bay leaf and broth. Bring to a low boil and cook for about 10-15 minutes, or until potato and carrots are soft. 

Remove rosemary and thyme stems, and bay leaf. Add cream and asiago cheese. Stir well. 

Serve hot with fresh chopped chives sprinkled liberally over top. 




1 comments:

Mmmmm this sounds good! I will have to give it a try on the next overcast weekend. :)

Share This