Tuscan Seven Layer Dip
With Layers of Pesto, Goat Cheese, Olives, Basil, & Parmesan Cheese
"The poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese."
Gilbert K. Chesterton
I am obsessed with cheese. Chocolate, I can take or leave. Ice cream? Only if it's hot. Caramel? Gross! But cheese, yes please. The more the merrier.
Although I usually prefer aged cheeses - like an extra old white cheddar, romano, asiago, or parmesan - goat cheese is one of my favourites, which is funny because I didn't even try it until I was in my teens. My mother - now a goat cheese convert - never liked the stuff while I was growing up so I was hesitant to try. I thought, if she loves feta, gouda, havarti, edam, and brie so much, what is so wrong with goat cheese that she won't eat it? It turns out my fears were groundless, and thank god I realized it in time!
Although I usually prefer aged cheeses - like an extra old white cheddar, romano, asiago, or parmesan - goat cheese is one of my favourites, which is funny because I didn't even try it until I was in my teens. My mother - now a goat cheese convert - never liked the stuff while I was growing up so I was hesitant to try. I thought, if she loves feta, gouda, havarti, edam, and brie so much, what is so wrong with goat cheese that she won't eat it? It turns out my fears were groundless, and thank god I realized it in time!

I made this dip as an appetizer last night to take to take to dinner at B's sister's place. It was a hit! It is rich, decadent, creamy, salty, tangy, and oily. With two kinds of cheese, can you really go wrong?

That's my favourite. Could eat it by the block.
You will need...
300 grams soft unripened goat cheese
3 tbs (heaping) basil pesto
2 portobello mushrooms
1.5 cups grape tomatoes, quartered
1/2 bulb garlic, minced
2 tbs olive oil
1 tbs balsamic vinegar (I used fig, but regular would be fine)
1 package (40g) fresh basil, thinly sliced
1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
1/2 cup sundried tomatoes in oil, strained and chopped
1/2 cup, lightly packed, parmesan petals
Freshly cracked black pepper
To start, preheat and grease your BBQ or grill. Wipe the portobello mushrooms off with a damp paper towel to remove any dirt, and place directly on the grill (if using BBQ, you can put it directly on the flame or heat). Cook for about 20 minutes, turning once half way through.
Meanwhile, combine the pesto and goat cheese in a small bowl. Set aside.
I used PC brand goat cheese - it was fantastic. I may or may not have licked this package clean after.
In a medium size bowl, combine quartered tomatoes, garlic, about 1/4 of the basil, black pepper, balsamic, and olive oil. Stir to combine and set aside.
Check on the mushrooms - they are done when they have shrunk in size, are dark, aromatic, and have nice dark grill marks but are not burnt. Remove from grill and, once cooled, chop into bit size chunks and set aside.
In a large shallow dish, spread the pesto goat cheese mixture evenly across the bottom. Next, sprinkle the portobello pieces evenly over top. Layer the tomato/basil/garlic mixture - or bruschetta - over top of that. Layer the basil, olives, sundried tomatoes, and parmesan petals respectively.
Chill in the fridge for about an hour and serve cool with bread, crackers, or - like we did - gluten-free tortilla chips from Costco. Yum!




1 comments:
YUMMY!!!!! That's all I have to say! - B's Sister
Post a Comment