Sweet Chili Chicken Bites
With Sesame Brown Rice & Sweet'n'Sour Vegetable Stir Fry
“And Adam ruled, for he was the King. Until the day his will to be King deserted him. Then he died, food for a stronger. And the strongest was always the King, not by strength alone, but King by cunning and luck and strength together. Among the rats.”
James Clavell, King Rat
I have been on a book-binge lately. Actually, more of like a 'comfort food' book binge. If that makes any sense. I love to read new things, don't get me wrong, but for the last little while I have been more than content to kick back with some old favourites - like Harry Potter, the Hunger Games, or King Rat. I picked up King Rat the other night. That is a book which is the oddest combination of 'light reading' and 'heavy stuff'. I find the writing style so smooth and fluid that it is never a struggle to get through the pages (like some of my other favourites, fantastic as they may be - cough, Tolstoy, cough, Dumas) but it never ceases to disturb me on some previously undiscovered level.

I suggested King Rat for a book club I was in a few years back, and I am fairly certain only one other person actually read it. BUT - she loved it. Loved, loved, loved it and we spent hours discussing it. It is a fantastic novel. A masterpiece really, and though I have read several bad reviews on it I am unconvinced that most people would not enjoy it. It might be a little 'slow' at times, but the characters are so well rounded, developed, and just down right... believable. Clavell is a master, no doubt - if you have never read his work, also check out Shogun and Noble House.
Set in a POW camp in Japanese territory during WW2, some of the scenes and events are rather horrific. But we can hardly be expected to skate over such details - after all, such atrocities did occur, and do in many countries around the world. The funny thing is, the scenes of brutality were actually significantly less disturbing than the more 'quiet' incidences of muted desperation. It is remarkable to observe just how much a human being can survive, and the things one will do given the right motivation. But what exactly, in such a scenario, makes a once honourable man less honourable? What lines, if any, can ever be crossed if one wishes to retain his dignity and his humanity?
James Clavell says it pretty well:
“There are no buts, my son. True there are degrees of honor — but one man can have only one code. Do what you like. It's your choice. Some things a man must decide for himself. Sometimes you have to adapt to circumstances. But for the love of God guard yourself and your conscience — no one else will — and know that a bad decision at the right time can destroy you far more surely than any bullet!”
I have read this book three times, I believe, and I still can't get through the ending without my gut twisting up, and leaking just one little tear for the King. He is such a flawed - often despicable - character that it is almost unbelievable that by the end I find myself to care about him so very much. But that, I suppose, is truly the magic of a good writer. He gets us to love a man not just in spite of - but because of - all his many flaws.
Anywho... give it a read. You won't regret it.
On the topic of Asia - I was craving Chinese food last night. Chinese food and chicken wings. Odd combo, right? Well I wanted something both healthier and cheaper than that for our supper. So I decided to use up some veggies and chicken breast I had kicking around in the fridge/freezer. By coating the chicken in flour and frying it first, we can get that 'chicken wing' crunch and delicious glaze without deep frying it, and without all the bones and skin normally involved. The veggies are a light addition, and should make up the largest portion of the meal.
We had ours with rice but we almost didn't even need it. Use whatever veggies you have on hand, but I highly recommend bok choy! It is ridiculously inexpensive and can be found at almost any produce store or super market. Healthy and crunchy - the perfect stir-fry base. I hope you enjoy.
You will need...
Chicken:
2 large chicken breasts, cut into cubes
1/5 cup oil (vegetable, peanut, olive, etc.)
1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbs sesame seeds
1 tsp sesame oil
4 tbs soy sauce (reg. or GF)
1 tsp red chili flakes
2 tbs flour or flour substitute (GF would work)
Green onions, minced - for topping
Rice:
1.5 cups white or brown, long grain rice
3 cups water or vegetable broth
2 whole garlic cloves, peeled
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp butter or margarine
Stir-Fry:
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
Veggies of your choice - I used carrots, bell peppers, bok choy, mushrooms, and zucchini
1 tbs sesame oil
1/4 cup sesame seeds
4 tbs soy sauce (reg. or GF)
4 tbs plum sauce
In a medium sauce pan, bring rice and water/stock to a boil. Add garlic cloves and fit with a lid. Turn heat down to LOW and simmer for about 15-20 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove from heat when done and keep warm by leaving the lid on - add butter and sesame oil and fluff with a fork.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, cube chicken breasts into even pieces and lay on a cutting board or in a bowl. Sprinkle with flour and toss well, seeking to coat all pieces evenly. If desired, top with fresh cracked black pepper.

When the pan is hot, scrape all the chicken into it - be careful! The oil will probably splatter. Allow to cook through and crisp up - this should take about 8-12 minutes, depending on how thick the cubes are.

How long you let the chicken cook depends on how crispy you want the sweet chili bites to be. They should be at least as crispy as the photo below.

Meanwhile, in a medium sized bowl combine the garlic, sweet chili, soy, chili flakes, and sesame seeds and oil. Stir well to combine. Feel free to adjust the amounts - some might like it saltier or less spicy. Dial back the chilies or add more soy if this is the case.

This is my favourite brand of sweet chili. It can be found down the Asian aisle in most grocery stores, is cheap, and is an absolute STAPLE in my kitchen.
Once chicken is desired crispiness, remove from pan with a slotted spoon and add to the sauce mixture in the bowl. DO NOT discard the oil in the pan. Set aside.

Toss the chicken in the sauce. Top with green onion if desired, and set aside.
Return the oiled pan to the burner and heat over medium. Add all the veggies, onions, garlic, etc. and saute until softened - TIP: If you are using bok choy, cook it until the leaves are well wilted like cooked spinach, but the white stalks are crisp and retain their shape nicely.
Toss in remaining ingredients and allow to simmer over LOW for another couple of minutes. Top with lots of fresh chopped green onion and serve hot.
Plate and enjoy - use chopsticks for that Chinese-take-away feel, without the guilt (for your waistline or your wallet).




0 comments:
Post a Comment