Leafy Greens Smoothie with Coconut & Lime
With Avocado, Kale, Spinach, Banana, & Pear
"I don't like spinach, and I'm glad I don't, because if I liked it I'd eat it, and I just hate it."
Clarence Darrow
My first Clarence Darrow quote - a bit of an odd choice for this post, but it seemed fairly relevant. That's how I used to feel about cilantro, and to a point I guess it still is. I think cilantro is horrible - cilantro and fish. I try to like fish, I really do. Except for squid, clams, octopus, stuff like that. I'm just fine not having that in my mouth, thanks.
I do like spinach though! I've never minded it raw, cooked, puréed .. no matter. Spinach dip is a favourite go-to for me, and spanokopitas are to die for. A few years ago working at the coffee shop I discovered that you can also blend it right into smoothies, and what a door that opened!
It's day three of my wacky new diet and I decided to pre make my breakfast/lunch for work tomorrow. I've started making healthy smoothies the night before and storing them in mason jars to drink throughout the day. I don't add sugar, only raw honey, and try to avoid dairy when possible (although I do add some low-fat greek yogurt from time to time).
This one is a bit different, but is absolutely delicious. My focus has been veggies lately, as fruit is a little sweet for my taste and I want all the vitamins you get from leafy greens. This concoction incorporates kale, spinach, pear, avocado, and limes. I added coconut milk for some fat and flavour, and to make it all delicious and creamy. The hemp seeds were for an extra protein boost, and the banana to add texture, but you could really use whatever you like. This one just turned out so well I thought I'd share - even B drank his up in two or three gulps and asked if I could make more just to get keep around the house! Considering he told me my last smoothie tasted like dirt, I'm taking that as a supreme compliment (although to be fair, he did say 'tasty dirt').
This recipe makes enough for two large(ish) servings. For me it filled about 1.5 mason jars, which was just enough for me to have breakfast/lunch tomorrow and for B to have a snack this afternoon. If you don't want to make so much, just halve all the ingredients. I hope you enjoy! There will probably be many more oddly coloured smoothies to come.
You will need...
1 pear, cored and quartered
1 cup raw spinach
1 large kale leaf, ripped into pieces
1 avocado, peeled and pitted
1 banana, peeled and broken into pieces
1 can low-fat coconut milk
1 cup coconut water (or regular water, apple juice, etc.)
1 lime, juiced
1 tsp raw honey
1/4 cup hemp or chia seeds (optional)
This is pretty darn simple. Break up your bananas, kale, and pears. Place them in the blender (big chunks at the bottom).
Add your greens, coconut milk, lime juice, coconut water, avocado, honey, and hemp seeds, if you are choosing to use them (you can get a great price on hemp or chia seeds if you go to Costco! They come in little resealable bags and can be used in just about anything for a bit of extra protein).
Now pulse, pulse, pulse, and blend until it is nice and smooth! If for some reason it is not blending well, try poking some of the bits down with a spoon in between pulses. Feel free to add more/less liquid if you prefer a different consistency than I do.
Now divvy that up into mugs, glasses, or mason jars. The lime juice helps keep everything a vibrant green even after storing it in the fridge or freezer overnight...
.... and enjoy! Super healthy, lean, green, clean smoothie with coconut and avocado. Tons of nutrients and a bit of fat to fill you up. Perfect after workouts, for breakfast, a mid-afternoon snack, or as a lunch replacement if you can't get away from your desk sometimes (like me!).
Enjoy, and remember to be creative. I bet green apple would be just as good as pear, and swiss chard is my go-to replacement when the kale is either unavailable or just not looking too good. Don't forget to check back soon for more low-fat, wacky diet concoctions. Until then,







0 comments:
Post a Comment