Crispy Mushroom Falafels

, by Unknown


My Take on the Famous Falafel - A Blend of Beans, Mushrooms, Herbs & Spices


“Even as a junkie I stayed true [to vegetarianism] - 'I shall have heroin, but I shan't have a hamburger.' What a sexy little paradox.” 
Russell Brand


I may not be a vegetarian anymore, but from time to time I do get a craving for some of the meat-free delicacies I sustained myself on for years during my teens. One of them is fried tofu - either Japanese style as Agedashi Tofu, or Thai, cut in wedges and served with peanut sauce. The other is falafel - usually in pitas, gyros, or even as a first-rate veggie burger. Delicious.

But what is a falafel? 

Well now that you asked... falafel is a traditional Arab staple. Thought to have originated in ancient Egypt, falafels are typically composed of chick peas or fava beans mashed up with herbs, spices, formed into patties and fried. Crispy, cakey, and full of flavour, they remain a fixture in vegan and vegetarian restaurants around the globe. 

I will admit off the bat - I took some artistic licence with these falafels. I almost ought to call these 'What-I-Happened-To-Have-In-The-Pantry' Falafels. I love mushrooms to death - as is readily apparent in many, many of my recipes - so when I saw a bag of fresh cremini's in the fridge I caved and decided to toss them in. Similarly, I had a can of white kidney beans in the cupboard and thought I would give those a try as well. The result is my personal take on an ancient cake - one that could be GF if you omit the bread crumbs. Serve as an appetizer with a side of dill and chive dip, as a burger alternative, in a pita with fresh veggies, or atop a bed of spinach as a filling salad topper. 

NOTE: This recipe makes a large batch. I like to have leftovers on weeknights so B can take big lunches to work. If you don't wish to have any left over, halve or quarter the recipe. 


You will need...

1 can (540 ml) chick peas, drained
1 can (540 ml) white kidney beans, drained
1 lemon, juiced
1 large handful cilantro
1 large handful parsley
1 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 small onion, chopped
2 tbs olive oil
1 tbs dried chili pepper flakes
2 tbs garlic, minced
1 tbs dried oregano
1 tbs paprika
1 tbs dried coriander
1 tbs onion powder
1 tbs garlic salt
1 tbs cumin
1/4 cup sesame seeds
2 eggs, raw
1/2 cup chick pea flour (gram flour, or besan)
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs (optional)*
Salt and Pepper
Vegetable Oil, for frying

*If you omit the bread crumbs, substitute with either GF crumbs or extra chick pea flour.


In a food processor, pulse onions, garlic, cilantro, parsley, lemon juice, and olive oil until roughly chopped and combined. 

Add chick peas and white beans and pulse until well blended but not a paste. Keep it fairly thick and almost chunky.

Like so.

Transfer contents of food processor to a large bowl. Add spices, sesame seeds, bread crumbs, mushrooms, and flour. Mix well with a large wooden spoon. Add eggs, salt, pepper, and combine. 

In a large frying pan heat up approximately 1 cup of vegetable oil - or enough to heavily coat the pan - over medium heat. 

Once hot, use a large metal spoon to ladle dollops of roundish shaped falafel mixture into the oil. Press down slightly and allow to fry for about 3-5 minutes per side. Remove from pan with a fork or spatula and pat dry on a paper towel. Repeat until the mixture is all used up. 

Awful picture, but to give you an idea.


NOTE: I fried this recipe because it is the method with which I am most familiar. Next time, however, I think I will try baking them at a high temperature with a drizzle of olive oil instead. Has anyone tried this? Feel free to comment on alternative methods of crisping them up. 


Serve hot or cold as an appetizer with dip, as a burger alternative, or - as we did - with fresh veggies in a pita. 



Some vegetable ideas for pita pockets....

Lettuce
Cherry tomatoes
Chives
Cucumbers
Avocado
Bell peppers
Jalapenos
Feta or Cheddar Cheese
Toasted Pine Nuts


Slice falafel cakes in half and layer with vegetables in a pita. Top with hummus, tzatziki, or with low-fat dill and chive dip

. 

I`m going to go eat some more now. Until next time, 



0 comments:

Share This