Cumin & Dijon Crusted Pork Tenderloin

, by Unknown


Thinly Sliced and Served with Arugula Pesto on Fresh Baked Ciabatta



"Simplicity is the most difficult thing to secure in this world; it is the last limit of experience and the last effort of genius."
George Sand


Sometimes - especially in the summer - I just want something simple. Complex flavours can be wonderful, but so can minimalism. That was sort of the idea with last night's dinner. I made a fragrant marinade of cumin and grainy dijon mustard to coat a pork tenderloin I had defrosted in the fridge, and it smelled so wonderful I didn't want to cover it up. Rather than load the pork with lots of veggies, sauces, or cheese, I decided we would just enjoy the ingredients; Ciabatta, arugula, a fresh, mild pesto, and pork. That's it. We paired it with a grilled apple and quinoa salad, and it was different and delicious. 

I enjoyed mine with my new favourite drink, Betty's Peach Iced Tea with Vodka -

Yum. I kind of want one right now.

- but it would pair equally well with a fruity red or white wine, or a summer ale. 


For the pork, you will need...

1 pork tenderloin

Wet ingredients...

1 tsp garlic, minced
1 tbs cumin
1 tbs coriander
1/2 tsp nutmeg or cinnamon
1 tbs grainy mustard
4 tbs dijon mustard
1  tbs white wine vinegar
1 tbs soy sauce

Dry ingredients...

1 cup flour or fine bread crumbs (I crushed panko by hand to make it powdery)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
Salt and Pepper


In a large bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients. Place the pork in the bowl and toss until completely coated. Cover with saran wrap and allow to marinate for at least two hours, but overnight is best. 

When you are ready to cook, preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.

In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients.  Toss the pork in the mixture and lay flat on the foil baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. 

Bake for about 45-60 minutes - depending on the thickness of the cut - turning once half way through. The meat should be juicy and ever-so-slightly pink in the center. 

Allow pork to rest for about ten minutes before slicing. While waiting for it to cool, butter both sides of a ciabatta baguette or bun and grill for about one minute on the BBQ, a counter-top panini grill, or on a frying pan. Set aside.

Slice the cooled pork into thin medallions and layer across a piece of baguette. Top with arugula pesto, fresh arugula, and mustard if desired. Serve hot or cold.

To make the arugula pesto, simply add minced garlic, fresh basil, parsley, arugula, olive oil, salt and pepper to a food processor and pulse until it develops a thick, paste-like consistency. 




0 comments:

Share This