Spicy Chicken in Thai Green Curry Sauce
With Coconut Milk & Veggies for Under 350 Calories
"Perseverance, secret of all triumphs."
Victor Hugo
Well, I'm still at it. Counting calories like one those... calorie counters. You know those people that just make you feel guilty at lunch because they're ordering the smallest thing on the menu and calculating how much it's setting them back? Oh, you don't know people like that? Well, I do, and it's annoying.
But alas, I've joined their ranks. I've been scribbling calories on sticky notes at my desk until I have time to enter it into my NOOM app on my cell phone. I've stopped eating out like, at all, and have been scanning the nutrition labels of literally everything I eat. It's not easy, believe you me. Did you know how many calories are in peanut butter? Or mayonnaise? Or quinoa?? What a disappointment.
But it will all be worth it, I am sure. And it's not a total loss. I enjoy eating veggies and don't even like eating breakfast, so my hurried little micro-meals throughout the work day aren't a big concern. I do miss dinner though - like pasta, and rice. Oh, rice. You don't know what you've got until it's gone.
That being said, I can be creative when I want to be. Last night I was craving curry but was sure I couldn't have it. My first instinct was butter chicken or creamy coconut curry with chicken and rice, but was too scared to even find out how many calories that would be. I did a little research though and found - to my pleasant surprise! - that green curry is pretty light on the count. I swapped the regular coconut milk for the reduced fat and I didn't even miss it. It was nutty and creamy, delicious as usual. I also omitted the rice that would usually act as a bed for this fresh dish and instead loaded it with bok choy, mushrooms, peppers, and sprouts. I am still full just thinking about it.
Baby bok choy, for those who might not know!
And it was all under 450 calories per serving! I must say that's a first for this site - me actually picking apart the ingredients and adding up the numbers. It was necessary in this case though, as my maximum amount I allow myself for dinner is 500 calories. Absolute maximum, but under 400 is better. Still, for a tasty treat once in a while this will do the trick nicely.
This recipe is for two (hence the two chicken breasts) and the calorie count is for each serving, not the whole recipe!! Still, it makes a pretty big batch so you won't be left hungry.
Give it a try and see if you like - omit the jalapeño if you are a little spice-shy. The curry paste itself is pretty darn spicy.
Oh, one other plus for this recipe? It takes like fifteen minutes to prepare - prep, clean up, and all. How can you possibly go wrong with that?
You will need...
1 packet Thai green curry paste
1 1/2 cups low fat coconut milk
2 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
5 large mushrooms, sliced
2 bunches baby bok choy, sliced in half
2 cups bean sprouts
1 lime, squeezed
1 handful fresh basil or cilantro, torn into chunks
1 jalapeno pepper, sliced (optional)
This is super easy. In a large skillet, brown the curry paste slightly over medium heat, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon.
Add the coconut milk and stir until well combined. Simmer for about one minute.
Increase heat to medium-high. Add the sliced chicken and stir well until cooked - about five to eight minutes.
Add all the veggies except for the bean sprouts and fresh herbs. Toss and coat with sauce - allow to simmer for about two or three minutes, or until mushrooms are softened, bok choy is starting to 'wilt' and red pepper is bright and vibrant in colour.
Now add bean sprouts, basil, and cilantro if desired. Remove from heat, divy up into two bowls, top with fresh squeezed lime, and enjoy.
Would be great with rice, too, but that would add calories and carbohydrates. If you aren't concerned about adding an extra couple hundred calories you could pour this over one cup of long grain brown rice. But to be honest, you don't really need it.










0 comments:
Post a Comment