Spicy Yam & Peanut Soup

, by Unknown


With Carrots, Fresh Ginger, & Spices


“One can never read too little of bad, or too much of good books: bad books are intellectual poison; they destroy the mind. In order to read what is good one must make it a condition never to read what is bad; for life is short, and both time and strength limited.”

Arthur Schopenhauer


I recently read a bad book. Not just disappointing, but bad. Worse, much worse, than I thought it would be. That's really discouraging, too, as it was the final book of a trilogy I've been reading and had quite high hopes for. Well, sort of. I gave the author the benefit of the doubt. 

The book was, of course, the final instalment of the Divergent series; Allegiant. It's about absolutely nothing at all, which is why I've had such a hard time writing a review. I want to post one here to follow up on the review I did of the first two, but it's tough. There just isn't much good to say about this one, and I'm tempted not to say anything at all. 

Just kidding, of course I'll say something. I am just warning anyone planning to read it that it will be largely negative. I am not even sure where to start with just how bad. So, I'll give it some thought and see what I can come up with. 

In the meantime, it officially feels like winter in Vancouver. I heard that it's been snowing up Grouse Mountain, and that they even opened Mt. Seymour for the season. We've broken out the firewood and started heating our living room by the glow of a flame. The sliding glass door - that allows the cats to come/go at will - has been reduced to the tiniest sliver possible without robbing it of it's intended use. The extra quilt has been added to the bed, and I've officially transitioned from 'coat and scarf' to 'coat, scarf, and gloves' every time I leave the house. Oh, and the mall is playing Christmas music already. So there's that. 



Winter means a lot of things to me, but poor driving conditions and slushy gutters aside, the biggest one is food. My favourite cold weather supper is still a hearty, creamy soup. Maybe a roasted garlic potato, or a creamy mushroom chowder. On the diet, however, those are no longer my friends. I cheated last night for the first time in two weeks (gasp!) and had popcorn when B and I went to the movies, and even had gnocchi for dinner afterwards on Hastings. It was delicious, and incredible, and I'm just going to miss it. 

Wanting to make up for my abysmal calorie counter yesterday, I decided to use up some yams and make a soup. A thick, creamy, salty soup with loads of flavour but low in fat. This is what I came up with - it's quite spicy, from the chili flakes, but the salty peanuts and the sweet yam even it out all right. Make sure to top with yogurt to complete the dish. 


You will need...

2 large yams, diced
2 cartons chicken or vegetable stock
1 bell pepper (red, yellow, or orange)
2 sweet onions, diced
1 bulb garlic, peeled and minced
1 large carrot, diced
1 tbs olive oil
1 tbs fresh grated ginger
2 tbs peanut butter
1 tbs hoisin sauce
1 tbs sweet chili sauce
1 tsp chili flakes
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 cup carrot juice (optional)

To top: Minced green onion, fresh cilantro or mint, low-fat greek yogurt, crushed and roasted peanuts. 



In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium. Add the onions and garlic, and sauté until tender. Add the yams, carrots, and bell pepper. Stir well to combine and allow to cook for about one minute. Add broth. 

Bring the pot to a boil, stirring frequently. Add the grated ginger and the crushed chili flakes. Allow to cook for about fifteen minutes, or until veggies are soft and fall apart to the touch. 




Reduce heat to minimum. Now, blend it all up with your handy dandy blender, if you have one...

Like this one.


... Thoroughly until thick and smooth. Add peanut butter, hoisin, chili sauce, spices and carrot juice, and stir well. Allow to simmer for about five or ten minutes, then remove from heat. 




Serve hot and top with cold low-fat greek yogurt, minced green onion, cilantro or mint, and crushed roasted peanuts. 


TIP: For more protein, add a can of chickpeas or white beans with the yam, carrot, and bell pepper. For a milder soup, cut back on the chili flakes.



0 comments:

Share This